Good evening readers. Here's your round-up of today's must-read literary news, commentary and fiction.
- Rahawa Haile hiked the Appalachian trail, sustained along the way by Black literature Buzzfeed Reader
- Multiculturalism and cross-pollination are "the lifeblood of art," writes poet and translator George Szirtes The Guardian
- Walt Whitman's diet and exercise regimen prescriptions for "manly men" involve subsisting on red meat Broadly
- Simon Goldhill's A Very Queer Family Indeed complicates modern ideas about sex and homosexuality in the Victorian era The Atlantic
- Min Jin Lee's Pachinko is a wide-ranging, minutely observed novel about four generations of Korean immigrants to Japan The New York Times
- James Baldwin should make you feel uncomfortable The Ringer
- Jack London's last book was a different kind of adventure than his other work, exploring interstellar travel and solitary confinement The Public Domain Review