Good evening readers, and happy new year. Here's your round-up of today's must-read literary news, commentary and fiction.
- How Ayelet Waldman changed her life for the better by micro-dosing LSD Bookforum
- John Berger (1926-2017), a beloved critic credited with popularizing art history and theory, snuck Marxism into his analyses The Los Angeles Review of Books
- Yiyun Li describes the years-long genesis of her short story "On the Street Where You Live" The New Yorker
- Annette Gordon on the rhetoric of white racial solidarity at the heart of the American Revolution The New York Review of Books
- When George Plimpton and Ernest Hemingway watched an execution in Cuba, and why the CIA helped fund the Paris Review Guernica
- Books to get you through 2017: a selection of "good books for bad times." Mask Magazine