Good evening readers. Here's your round-up of today's must-read literary news, commentary and fiction.
- Writing rituals: novelists on the early stages of writing, and the words that may not make it to the final, published product Lit Hub
- Farewell, BookCourt: after 35 years of business, Cobble Hill’s independent bookstore will close at the end of the year. Brooklyn Magazine
- Castro’s literary legacy: Gabriel García Márquez’s surprising, unofficial copy editor The Guardian
- Coffee break: advice on writing your screenplay, latte in hand Catapult
- 10 Overlooked Books of 2016: check out the books that flew under the radar this year Signature Reads
- Robots reading: how artificial intelligence can enrich our literary culture Aeon
- Best Book Covers of 2016: we all judge a book by its cover sometimes Slate