Good evening readers. Here's your round-up of today's must-read literary news, commentary and fiction.
- RIP ER Braithwaite: the Guyanese author of To Sir, With Love passes away at the age of 104 The Guardian
- From Roxane Gay to Zora Neale Hurston, here are the literary women that inspire writers the most Lit Hub
- The Alphabet Book With No Pictures: B.J. Novak writes a follow-up to his bestselling children's book, The Book With No Pictures The Los Angeles Times
- Shirley Jackson: on the centenary of the horror author's birth, a discussion of Jackson's legacy Electric Literature
- Violent suffering: what author Laurie Sheck learned about torment and illness in art from Dostoyevsky's The Idiot The Atlantic
- A Woman Looking at Men Looking at Women: Siri Hustvedt's new book of essays explores "why we revere the intellect and distrust the body" The Washington Post
- The New Yorker's favorite books from 2016: their extensive list of must-reads includes Mauro Javier Cardenas's The Revolutionaries Try Again and Lola Lafon's The Little Communist Who Never Smiled The New Yorker