Good evening readers. Here's your round-up of today's must-read literary news, commentary and fiction.
- Fiction by Stephen Dixon: a man imagines that this time things will be different Harper's
- The cult of Santa Muerte, an ancient harbinger of death The Revealer
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, a beloved YA cult classic, gets a trailer Variety
- The naked statues of Trump that have been popping up everywhere are actually part of a long intellectual tradition The National Book Review
- "A home for black poetry": a long-time member of Cave Canem reflects on the twenty-year legacy of one of an important pre-Internet space for young black writers. Poetry Foundation
- Karan Mahajan on the ways India's millenia-old intellectual history has been weaponized for political gain The New Yorker
- Why at the twilight of the Obama years, James Baldwin's words ring truer than ever Guernica